I absolutely love this healthy spelt crust pumpkin pie because it’s easy, has a ton of flavor and the main ingredient is a vegetable! When I first made it, I knew the search for the best pumpkin pie recipe had ended…and that this treat wouldn’t be confined to the holiday season. I’m betting you’ll feel the same way!
What makes this spelt crust pumpkin pie better than a traditional pie?
- it contains maple syrup, which is an easily digestible alternative to processed sugar
- the crust is made with spelt flour, which is a whole-grain and low-gluten alternative to wheat
- the filling contains a dairy-free nut milk
- ghee is a healthier substitute for butter, with the milk fat removed
HEALTHY SPELT CRUST INGREDIENTS
- 2 cups whole spelt flour
- 3/8 tsp. salt
- 10 T. organic unsalted butter/ghee (or vegan option)
- 1-3 T. ice water
PUMPKIN PIE FILLING
- 1 15 oz. can organic pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs (or 4 egg whites lightly beaten or flax eggs)
- 1 cup nut milk (I used homemade almond)
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ginger
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ tsp. salt
HOW TO MAKE SPELT CRUST
- Combine spelt flour and salt in large bowl.*
- Cut butter in until mixture is the texture of coarse meal.
- Sprinkle 1 T. water at a time over the flour mixture and mix lightly with a fork after each addition, until pastry is just moist enough to hold together when pressed between fingers.
- Shape into a flattened disc, cover with wax paper, and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Roll pastry b/w two sheets of wax paper until pastry is desired size, remove from wax paper and fit pastry into pie plate.
*If you’re using a food processor, for steps 1-3: place flour, salt in food processor. Using metal blade, pulse on and off a few times to combine the mixture well. Remove the lid and distribute pieces of butter evenly into the container. Replace lid and pulse several times until it looks like coarse meal. Add 1 T. water at a time through the tube of the food processor and pulse several times after each addition until the pastry holds together when pressed between fingers. Continue to prepare pastry (step 4) as described above.
HOW TO MAKE PUMPKIN PIE
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Lightly beat eggs in a small bowl.
- Combine all remaining pie ingredients in a separate large bowl.
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly – do not beat.
- Pour into pie shell.
- Bake at 425° F for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat and bake at 350° F for an additional hour or until knife comes out clean when inserted in center of pie. You may need to cook at 300° for a longer time, up to 2 hours, so crust doesn’t burn – all ovens are different.
- Cool on rack and serve.