Twice this past month, a cold has knocked on my door. Surprisingly, and thankfully, I never met them face-to-face.
The knock came in the form of a tickle in my throat and a stuffed up nose. This is usually the first sign FOR ME of feeling like crap for a few consecutive days–most likely a cold.
After having an awful cold turn into something weird in December (remember I lost my taste for about a month?!), I decided to up my natural medicine game, which already consisted of elderberry, vitamin D, multivitamin, probiotic, and nasal wash.
I’ve added two natural remedies to my winter wellness routine that are working! How do I know? Remember that dance of when you experience symptoms/change in your health, you retrace your steps and question what you did differently and what is working/not working? And the only reason I can guess that the symptoms I experienced recently did not progress and actually disappeared quickly are these two additions to my routine.
Protect Me Drink
- Simmer 4 smashed garlic cloves in one cup of water
- Melt in a tablespoon of honey
- Take off stove and pour into glass
- Add 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Add 1/4 cup apple cider vineger
- Drink this entire serving twice a day, morning and night, until you feel better.
- When feeling well, drink this every few days as maintenance.
- My recipe came from a mix of Everyday Roots and Step to Health. Definitely read the benefits of these powerful ingredients.
- Mix 1/2 cup of local honey + 1 tablespoon of powered turmeric + pinch of black pepper.
- Follow usage directions (I’ve currently been doing a few teaspoons/day as maintenance).
- Make sure to completely melt the honey in your mouth before swallowing.
And you can combine these two! Feel free to melt the Golden Honey into your Protect Me Drink!
Do you have any rituals to keep you healthy? I would love to hear!